Tuesday 10 January 2012

Once upon a time...

After much deliberation I've decided that I need a mobility scooter. It's fast approaching a year since I was given ciprofloxacin (a flouroquinolone antibiotic similar to levaquin) which side effects left me with reflex sympathetic dystrophy in both my Achilles tendons.

Like for most people it was a tough decision to get one. I'm one of the fortunate ones, in that I seem to be recovering very gradually, having gone from being completely reliant on a manual wheelchair, to using crutches and now walking about 50 yards unaided. But it's hit and miss, good days and bad days, and I don't know if or when I will make a full recovery.  I'm 36 and in the last 12 months I've missed endless trips to the park, walks in the country, business meetings, flights and holidays, etc. and I don't want to miss any more.

I've hired full-sized mobility scooters a few times and I really enjoyed the freedom it gave me, but their size and weight would have been impractical, I wouldn't be able to get one in my car and my house wouldn't be able to store one.

A Google search of a lightweight mobility scooter took me to the TravelScoot website and so the story begins...

No comments:

Post a Comment