Tuesday 10 January 2012

Show me the money

VAT

UK and Ireland residents with long term disabilities should be able to claim full VAT relief on the TravelScoot.  See here for UK HMRC information or call the National Advice Service on 0845 010 9000.  For Irish Office of the Revenue Commissioners information see here.  Other  countries may offer this releif, so it is worth checking with your local tax office.  I'll be happy to collate links to other tax office websites in a separate post.

The prices on the website include EU VAT at 19%.  To calculate the ex-VAT price, just divide the price by 1.19

i.e. Standard TravelScoot = 1340 Euros divided by 1.19 = 1,126 Euros. 

You can then call your bank to get an estimate of what the exchange rate will be in British Pounds, as it will differ slightly from the trade exchange rates found online.

Ordering 

The ordering process was straightforward.  I completed the contact form on the TravelScoot EU website and requested a VAT exemption form.  Hardy (owner and inventor of the TravelScoot) was quick to reply with the form in Word document format, which I completed, signed, scanned and returned.

I had a few other questions for Hardy throughout the process and it was refreshing to be talking to someone who has knowledge, passion and automony. There's no "I'll have to contact the manufacturer", theres's no "I'll have to check with my line manager", just straightforward immediate facts.

With the VAT exemption form returned, it was then just a case of selecting the Scoot (I went for the Deluxe) and accessories (which I'll cover in my next post). The online transaction process will show the 19% VAT inclusive price during ordering, which might be unnerving but don't panic, the VAT is deducted prior to processing your credit card and you'll receive an invoice showing the ex-VAT amount.

So, I ordered on Wednesday afternoon, it was shipped on Thursday and arrived from Germany on Monday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment